Tuesday 11 January 2011

Damson Vodka favours - nearly done!

You may remember a while ago, I made damson vodka to use as our favours, which we will serve in test tube shots. Well that was about 4 months ago, so it was time to get around to straining the damsons out of the vodka!

Last time I showed you the vodka, it looked like this:

Day 1
Day 2
After 4 months, it looked like this:






Beautiful! So the next step was to strain the fruit out...





...and taste, to see if it needed more sugar.


It tasted gorgeous! Very strong, but then it is neat vodka. I added a little bit more sugar, then returned it to the bottle to sit, where it will only improve in taste and consistency, until we need it.





So there you have it! Our damson vodka favours are basically done - all that's left is to put the vodka into the test tubes, which we'll do just before the wedding.

Oh, I meant to say - I have used a plastic bottle, since it was the only one big enough I could find, but the experts so that you should use a glass one to stop the plastic taking any of the smell or taste away from the drink. Personally, I'm not that much of a snob about alcohol, so I wasn't too bothered (and I refused to buy a huge glass jar just for this purpose!) but if you have glass bottles big enough, you might as well use them.

Now I have to think of something to do with a load of vodka soaked damsons - I've heard about people drying them to use in cakes, or eating them in their porridge. Even dipping them in chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...