Wednesday 1 September 2010

How do I word thee...?

When I posted the pictures of our invitation insert options in the previous post, I realsied that I don't like the wording I've used.

Currently it says

"Kayleigh and Karl would like to invite Joe and Jane to celebrate their love at a wedding ceremony"

Now obviously I mean we are inviting them to celebrate OUR love, but when I read it back to myself, it sounds like we are asking them to celebrate their own love. It sounds a little bit like we're having some sort of mass wedding, and while that could be fun, it's not what we're doing!

So it's back to the drawing board. How can we word the invitations? I hate the traditional "the honour of your company is requested..." and we want something informal and simple, but a bit nicer than "your invited to our wedding".

Ideally, the invitations should begin with our names, so they should read

"Kayleigh and Karl
would like to invite
Joe and Jane Bloggs
to...................................."

And that's where I'm stumped.

Is it ok to use "our" and "us" if we have our names above? For example, Kayleigh and Karl invite Joe and Jane to join us in celebrating our love..."

I know it's not grammatically correct, but does it sound weird? I hate invitations that are grammatically incorrect though! I'm not sure I could bear to send them out...


And yes, I am aware that I am stressing about something that people will hardly even notice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...